I know many of you have been wondering about the status of practical shooting at West Liberty Gun Club since our hiatus began in late August. Since the last match in early August, the club Board of Directors, City of West Liberty, and our core group of practical shooters have been hard at work analyzing our facilities, range rules, competitive shooting events, any many other factors to improve the safety of our competitors, neighbors, and spectators alike. While no set of rules or regulations could prevent 100% of accidents, we have identified some areas that we can improve upon to make practical shooting matches safer while maintaining the competitive spirit that we all enjoy. Many of the areas that we identified are things that we already do at WLGC , some practices will be new to WLGC. When USPSA sanctioned matches resume at West Liberty Gun Club on Sunday, December 1st, we will be observing a few key points below:
- The match will be conducted using all USPSA safety rules.
- A current version of the rule book can be viewed and downloaded at the USPSA site or by clicking here.
- All stage designs must meet current USPSA standards.
- All stage designs will be submitted to the Match Director or Assistant Match Director in advance.
- After set-up, all stages will be inspected by the match director(s) before shooting begins.
- All shots fired are to be aimed at a target backed up by a berm or sandbags
- When Practical shooting matches are in progress all other ranges on the property will be closed.
- There will be a mandatory safety briefing before each match.
- A NROI certified Range Officer or experienced USPSA shooter will be assigned to each squad.
- New shooters will receive an additional safety briefing and their presence will be announced to the squad.
I am excited to return to the range and get back to shooting, as I am sure many of you are as well. More details will be forthcoming with match specifics.
See you all at the range!